Well, I guess there was good reason for my inability to finish this manuscript, because I’ve started my edits from the beginning and I’m going through my pages of random notes, and there the mss. needs a lot of rewriting. What’s here is good, mind you, I am hitting the points I want to hit, but structurally there’s still a lot of confusion and muddled approaches, all of which need to be straightened out before I can proceed.
I have to admit that editing is always scary for me, since it involves looking at my work objectively, without either horror or adoration. Getting into a good frame of mind for that is hard. But that’s what needs to be done, so I am determined to work my way through it.
Here’s the blog hop link for this check-in. I’ll post again about how things are going, and look forward to the next round.
Hello, ROW80 folks! I’m going to change up my goals for the final weeks of this challenge, because focusing on word count is not working for me right now. I need to edit, which inevitably involves both adding words and cutting them, and so the word count itself doesn’t show the progress being made, or not being made as the case may be.
So I am shifting to one blog post per week, to check in about progress. That may include a word count if significant new words get made. But it may also be hours spent editing, or percent of the manuscript that is roughly finished, or any other measure that seems to work at the time. My over-riding goal remains the same: to finish this one manuscript without stalling or getting distracted by shiny squirrels and popcorn kittens.
I chose to trust my own process towards that goal, so if new words aren’t happening, I’ll focus on what is. That seems like the best way to proceed.
Here’s the blog hop link for this check-in. Hope the work goes well for all of you, and I’ll check in again next week.
Some progress on new words this week, 888 total on the book which still leaves me behind my ROW80 goal by 1112 words. But that’s not the important thing that happened this week.
I think I finally see the general outline of the rest of the book. Remember, this is a nonfiction work so my task is to present all the technical and explanatory info I need, and nothing more. I was aiming for 65,000 words pretty much at random, because I needed a goal of some sort. But now I think I’ll hit the end way before that. Current estimate is that the book will end up closer to 45,000 words. If I’m correct about that (and I’m pretty sure I’ll be within 5k of that target), then I’m way closer to the end than I had thought.
I’ve adjusted my Arbitrary Widget to reflect that fact. And I’ll keep working to hit my 1000 words/week goal, to push through to the end of the writing wherever that end is. But some of what I’m experiencing as a slowdown is actually my internal work of figuring out what I need to write. I have a hard time figuring out which of those two things are going on sometimes, and I worry that I’m not getting enough done when in fact the work is happening in my head.
Reading back through the draft I see that it is (unsurprisingly) a mess, so the editing process that comes next will be intensive too. But that’s a worry for another day. For now, I’ll keep chugging on.
Here’s the link for the blog hop for this check-in. I hope everyone’s work is going well.